The RDS Strategic Plan approved by the Council of the Society in 2010 recognises the fundamental importance of ensuring the support and involvement of our Members. In 2012, a new Membership Committee was established which is intended to be representative of the membership body as a whole in terms of length of time as a Member, age, gender and location profile.
The role and responsibilities of the Membership Committee include:
- To advance Members’ interests;
- To make recommendations via the Board of Management, to the Council regarding the involvement of Members throughout the Society;
- To oversee the implementation of the Membership Development Plan;
- To evaluate recommendations regarding Membership made as part of the Society’s overall strategic process and to use these to inform policy and planning for future membership development;
- To consider applications for Membership of the Society and to make recommendations regarding acceptance to the Board of Management;
- To report, via the Board of Management, to the Council on issues arising in relation to the Membership objectives with appropriate recommendations;
- To evaluate and implement input from the Standing Committees, Members and external organisations to achieve the Membership objectives;
- To monitor the Members’ areas of the Society’s premises including the Society’s treasures and to make recommendations to Management regarding conservation and refurbishment.
The 12-member Membership Committee meets up to six times per year. Six of its members are RDS Members directly elected to the Council who are appointed by the Council to serve on the Membership Committee. The remaining six members are RDS Members who, following an open call expressed an interest to serve on the Membership Committee and in tandem with the published criteria were recommended by the Nominations Committee to the Council who appointed them to serve on the Committee.
The current members of the Membership Committee are:
|Appointed by the Council
|Mrs Jane Collins
||Mr Stevan Griffiths (Chair)
|Mr Patrick Downes
||Mrs Camilla McAleese
|Mr John R. Holohan
||Professor Brian McKenna
|Mrs Bernardine Hurley
||Ms Diane Scott
|Dr Antonia Lehane
||Mrs Carmel Sheridan
|Ms Geraldine O'Connor
||Mr Paul Slattery
Upon completion of their three-year term of office, all Membership Committee members are eligible to go forward, through the election / Nominations Committee process, for re-election / re-appointment for a second three year term. Having completed two successive three year terms, members must retire and are not eligible for election / appointment to the Membership Committee for two years following the completion of his/her second term.
For further information, please contact 01 240 7296 or email firstname.lastname@example.org