The purpose of the RDS is to see Ireland thrive culturally and economically. Established in 1731 we are one of the world's oldest philanthropic organisations. We have always adopted a long-term view that has allowed us to effect change and implement projects with enduring legacy and impact.
Sustainability has been a core value of the RDS since its inception. It is evident throughout our work that has supported Irish society since our foundation. Through this, we have helped to create improvement in the areas of environmental, economic and social sustainability.
The RDS acknowledges that our work has environmental and other resource impacts and that we are responsible for managing these impacts in a sustainable way. We strive for excellence in all that we do and are committed to contributing to the creation of a sustainable environment, economy and society by embedding sustainability in all of our endeavours.
Under this policy we commit to the following:
- Establishing a Sustainability Roadmap framework for setting and reviewing site-specific sustainability and energy objectives and targets
- Ensuring the availability of information and the necessary resources to achieve our objectives and targets
- Complying with all applicable legal and other requirements relating to energy use, consumption and efficiency as well as environmental, health & safety and social regulations
- Continually improving our energy performance, water management and reducing the generation of waste, greenhouse gas and other emissions
- Working with staff and suppliers to embed sustainability considerations into our procurement and investment activities, including the procurement of energy efficient products and services, and design for energy performance improvement
- Promoting biodiversity and striving to prevent pollution and other negative social impacts
- Minimising the short term and legacy impacts our activities and visitors may have on the locality
- Raising awareness through training and motivation of employees so that they can conduct their work in a healthy, safe, environmentally, socially and financially responsible manner
- Treating all stakeholders and employees with fairness, equality and respect at all times, in particular stakeholders with special requirements and needs
This policy and our progress is regularly evaluated by the RDS energy and sustainability team and reported to the RDS Senior Management Team for periodic review. Our management team will lead by example with success and continuous improvement generated by the combined efforts of all stakeholders.
Michael Duffy, Chief Executive, June 2 2016